Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Exclusive – Everton Ribeiro targets Copa América after breaking into Brazil squad



Exclusive – Everton Ribeiro targets Copa América after breaking into Brazil squad





12:03 23 December 2014 Copa América
The former left-back is now excelling in an attacking midfield role and is keen to continue his fine form for club and country


Five years ago, Everton Ribeiro was the left-back for the Brazil side which took part in the South American Under-20 championship.

More from Goal.com: Mexico's top five | Best of 2014

He returned from that tournament and made the career-defining decision that a switch in roles was needed, with a move into an attacking midfield berth his next step.

And having helped Cruzeiro to a second successive Brazilian championship, the 25-year-old was named player of the season, vindicating that move.

Ribeiro has also earned a place in Dunga’s new-look Brazil squad and is now keen to secure a place in the party for the 2015 Copa América in Chile. CA2015 – How have you found switching from left-back to attacking midfield?
Everton Ribeiro – Attacking midfield was where I began and is a position I always liked. I started playing there at the beginning of my career. When I decided to go back to it, thanks to God everything went well - I won the Brazilian championship and was called up by Brazil. I hope to improve more and more.

CA2015 – Why did you make the transition to midfield?
Everton Ribeiro - It was actually before working with Marcelo (Oliveira). When I returned from the South American U20 championships in 2009 as a left-back, I talked to my manager and we decided that I had a better future as an attacking midfielder. Then Antonio Carlos took over at São Caetano and gave me the opportunity.

CA2015 – How much of an influence has Cruzeiro coach Marcelo Oliveira had on your career?
Everton Riberio - Marcelo is a great coach. We have been working together for four years (they were together at Coritiba in 2011 and 2012). He gave me opportunities and the belief for me to do my best. He knows how to lead a team and respects individuals. He helped me to get where I am.

CA2015 – How do you deal with speculation over your future?
Everton Ribeiro - If I were to leave, it would have to be to a great team, where I will continue being seen and valued. I'm very happy playing for Cruzeiro, and on January 7 I will be there to continue my career and maybe get to the Copa América.

CA2015 – How will you build on being named the MVP in the Brasileirao?
Everton Ribeiro - It motivates me even more to continue growing my career and winning titles, so I can keep my place in the national team. The Copa América is a great goal for me and I need to keep playing well for my club for this to happen. CA2015 – Do you hope to keep being selected by Brazil?
Everton Ribeiro - Dunga made it clear that regardless of name or position, or how often you have played in the past, whoever is in form will play. He is being very consistent and doing a great job, and will give a chance to anyone who is playing well.

CA2015 – What do you think of the competition for a place in the team?
Everton Ribeiro – At the moment, competition is high regardless of whether you are left or right footed. I want to keep showing my ability and keep my place with Brazil.

CA2015 – What is your first memory of the Copa América?
Everton Ribeiro - I remember the 2004 edition, when Brazil equalised against Argentina with Adriano’s late goal before winning the title on penalties. It is a very important championship and I hope to be part of it next year.

CA2015 – You scored a crucial goal in the Brasileirao, can you do the same at the Copa América?
Everton Ribeiro – That would be a dream come true. It would be an honour just to play in the Copa América, and even more so to score the winning goal. I am so happy to have been able to help Cruzeiro, and who knows if I can do the same for the national team?

<
Previous article VIDEO: Watch Neymar score stunning exhibition goal




Related News

Rojo - I'm not scared to put in a challenge

2014 - The year in review for four of Bolivia's key men

Higuain: Supercoppa will not satisfy Napoli hunger

Fabregas: I'd love Messi to join Chelsea

Gutierrez makes Newcastle comeback after cancer fight

Carrick confident Falcao will shine for Man Utd

No comments:

Post a Comment